Click picture to enlarge
This is the original home of the William Elder Balcom family, it was finished by 1885. Mr Balcom had spent eighteen years developing his 265-Acre parcel across the Santa Clara River in an area later called the “Bardsdale District”. However, by this time the educational needs of their eight children prompted he and his wife to move into Santa Paula. Three of his sons continued to farm the home ranch. To further Santa Paula’s emerging image of prosperity, he and his eldest son, James, financed the construction of a handsome, two-storied brick structure on Main Street known as the Balcom Building. The first floor was let for commercial uses and the hall on the second floor was the setting for numerous public dances, town meetings, graduation exercises, and, with an elevated stage where local drama clubs and traveling troupes could entertain the community. Unfortunately, the venerable landmark was gutted by a fire in the 1950’s. The style is Italianate.
-Courtesy Santa Paula Historical Society