Click picture to enlarge
Hardison (W.L.) House
Completed in 1884, this was the home of Wallace L. Hardison and his family. Mr. Hardison is remembered primarily for being a co-founder of both the Union Oil and the Limoneira Companies. However, when he built this house neither of these accomplishments had occurred! A businessman of many interests, he was, among other things, breeder of fine race horses and registered cattle, the President of the Santa Paula Horse and Cattle Company, a part owner of a profitable gold mine in Peru and the one-time owner of the Los Angeles Herald. The town’s first telephone line was installed here to connect him with Union Oil’s wells in nearby Adams Canyon. In 1894 the structure was lifted by pulley’s to permit a basement to be built. The home and a portion of the original ranch remain in the Hardison Family. The style is Victorian Era Farmhouse.
-Courtesy Santa Paula Historical Society