Click picture to enlarge

Close window

Mill Park

(Blanchard & Bradley flour mill)

Built 1873
736 Santa Paula/Ojai Road at Bedford Rd, public park
Ventura County Historical Landmark #39

 

This was the original site of the Blanchard & Bradley flour mill. It was working by 1873 and was the only such facility between San Luis Obispo and Los Angeles. To operate it a ditch originating up the canyon carried water from the Santa Paula Creek to a point above the mill and was dropped down an open flume onto the rotating water wheel. The mill’s finest grade of flour was called “Middlings Purified” and a sample shipped to
the nation’s Centennial Exhibition in
Philadelphia was awarded a gold medal.

-Courtesy Santa Paula Historical Society